Shaving dogs is done for many reasons. There is definitely a time and place but more often than not, it is done for the wrong reason or to the determent of the pet.
Some general rules to think about:
- Never shave a short coat
- Shaving a dog hampers its ability to control its temperature, not help it.
- In many breeds of dogs, when shaved, the coat will go dormant and not grow back normally.
- Never back shave (against the grain)
- Never go less than 1” if possible
- Dematting should be considered first; shave only if dematting is not feasible. Learn techniques and products so you can do this smarter, not harder.